History

The Group was established by Dr. Tom Thomson in 1960.  Dr. Thomson graduated in Glasgow and trained in Anaesthesia in England.  He was Director of Anaesthesia at the Royal Hobart Hospital from 1956 to 1960.  Dr. Margaret Nicholson soon joined Dr Thomson at the Group and over the next ten years Alan Bond, Ron Tapson, Jean Oakes , Robert Bown, Michael Hodgson and David Carne joined.

The Group initially had rooms located in Davey St.  They moved to Macquarie St. and then settled into the current site, 303 Macquarie St., in 1981.

There has been a steady increase in the number of anaesthetists over the years as the workload has increased.  The current group has over 30 anaesthetists.